Monday, February 4, 2013

Synesthesia and Cymatics

Wow.

I'm literally blown away by the videos for Synesthesia and Cymatics. I thought the lecture on Synesthesia did an incredible job of taking an abstract idea and simplifying so that everyday viewers can comprehend. When you really think about it, certain words have almost CERTAIN expressive qualities that accompany them. Take "disgusting" for example. This is a very expressive word that most always has a negative connotation. When I hear that word, I sort of associate it with a pale greenish brown and a bunch of scribble. Don't ask me why, but I think it ties in pretty well with the idea of Synesthesia. Also, the word "serene" seems to me to be a vocal/phonetical representation of a harp. Both of these words have relatively similar dispositions, as a harp most often exudes a serene, tranquil instrumentation. But when I see "serene" or hear "serene," sometimes it goes as far, for me, as actually hearing the harp in my head. I always thought that was cool, and now I have an expression to represent that immediate association in my brain. My immediate Google search of "serene" rendered this image. Can you imagine a harp strumming gently in the background?!?
Now, with Cymatics, I was really blown away. But I think it echoes the idea of Synesthesia pretty well in the sense that sounds, as well as formed words, have shapes and patterns as well. This particular pattern from the video was my absolute favorite.
That is also the coolest machine I've ever seen. I believe the sound being made here was an extremely high pitched frequency, which rendered a fairly complex pattern. The earlier noises projected by this machine were a tad lower, and the pattern started relatively simple. To be able trace these audial differences by way of visual representations is probably one of the cooooooolest methods I've ever seen. 


Until next time, noble followers.

Peace, Love and Happiness,

Knocker

No comments:

Post a Comment