Monday, March 18, 2013

Response to Roots and St. Louise

Man, the attention to complexity and detail on Roots really astounded me. The colors and shapes all came together to create a rhythmic, 3-D animation that manipulates color schemes in conjunction with the background to grant an aesthetically pleasing contrast. While I could not make out an apparent narrative, I did notice several of the film manipulation techniques such as coloring of the film in different layers, scratching, dying and bleaching, and creating several 3-D animation planes. The transformations in shapes and backgrounds was pretty incredible.


For St. Louise, I loved the accompanying score with Soul Coughing. Actually, I think it might've been a music video for the song? Regardless, definitely a lot of scratching being employed fairly often and quite obviously, but in conjunction with more bleaching of film and manipulation of words, shapes, and patterns. I really enjoyed the split frame insert of the boy shooting with the Super 8 camera and the parts of immulsion that were scratched out. It provided a relieving contrast to the constant motion and variety of the patterns. The intro was really cool in that the text slid from frame right to frame left across the screen while the film was actually being projected in a vertical manner. I'm sure that was a tough part to animate but it came out looking awesome!


While I may not have always thought it,

is actually super badass.


Until next time,

Nocker

No comments:

Post a Comment